FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!

User Tag List

• Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
      She's Cute Though, So It's Alright
      Classy

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Asset to the ForumBest of '13 - Best Staff, Best OPGood OPLinguistTime LordThespianElement of Generosity

FiM - Now Secure (HTTPS/SSL Enabled)

With the site coming back, thought we might as well bring ourselves in the modern era and encrypt our communications. As of now, the site has a valid security certificate and should be forcing you onto HTTPS.

Please let us know if you run into any issues using the site that might be related to this, or if your browser shows you any "insecure site" warnings. vBulletin is... a bit outdated and doesn't exactly want to play nicely out of the box. We may need to hunt down some additional configurations to make sure everything is playing nice with the modern web, and your assistance in locating such bugs is greatly appreciated.

Don't know what this means?

It's okay, we don't all work in security.

Basically, now when you're browsing the site, you should see the little "lock" icon in the browser-bar next to the URL. This lets you know that communications to/from our server are encrypted.

Cool, but who cares?

Google, mostly. Nowadays they require HTTPS support on websites or they get deranked in search results.

You should care too, though! With the site being secure, you can have confidence in that your passwords and information aren't visible to any of those l33t haXxXz0rz. I suppose there's also the benefit that maybe nobody will know you're on a pony forum...

Will this break anything?

It may break old links that were hard-coded in posts, because those URLs are now incorrect. They'll look like "http://friendshipismagic.org", but now they need to look like "https://friendshipismagic.org". The server has been configured to automatically "promote" non-HTTPS links, so they should fix themselves automatically, but you never know.

Please note that we're still in the process of re-enabling old addons for the site. You may find that old links fail to load for other reasons, which we hope to resolve soon. In the meantime, copy the thread ID and paste that into a working thread-view page and any old thread will load.
      Thanks Shapeshift! thanked for this post
      Likes Shapeshift! liked this post

The Unchanged Changeling
      Ever the light casts a shadow,
      ever the night springs from
      the light

Uneasy

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
      I suppose there's also the benefit that maybe nobody will know you're on a pony forum...
      Unfortunately something in the front page that loads when logged in (probably shoutbox) causes a small, short-lived leak every time you load the page. It's all TCP connection establishment frames, so it'll only show others that you're on the site and logged in, but it's good enough for me.

Sorry, but the shop's closed. All current requests will still be worked on and completed

She's Cute Though, So It's Alright
      Classy

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Asset to the ForumBest of '13 - Best Staff, Best OPGood OPLinguistTime LordThespianElement of Generosity
      Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshift! View Post
      Unfortunately something in the front page that loads when logged in (probably shoutbox) causes a small, short-lived leak every time you load the page. It's all TCP connection establishment frames, so it'll only show others that you're on the site and logged in, but it's good enough for me.
      It's really a miracle that shoutbox works at all. The AJAX hacks used to make it function are, uh, gross.

The Unchanged Changeling
      Ever the light casts a shadow,
      ever the night springs from
      the light

Uneasy

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
      It's really a miracle that shoutbox works at all. The AJAX hacks used to make it function are, uh, gross.
      I remember you mentioning that a long time ago. I've never used server-side hacks to get things working on websites before, but I probably will after several years, either in a IT security job or on my own time

Sorry, but the shop's closed. All current requests will still be worked on and completed