FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!

User Tag List

• Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF

Thread: OC: Shush Mumzy

Cutie Mark Creator
      Out of marshmallows and out of
      hope.

Down

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with HonorsWhite Knight
      User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
      Bits

OC: Shush Mumzy

Name: Shush Mumzy

Species: Earth Pony

Approximate age: 20

Picture and/or Description:
      Spoiler: Shush with and without her makeup and mime outfit 

Background:
      Shush Mumzy grew up in a traveling circus, her father was a magician who taught her several tricks and encouraged her to make her own. Her mom walked the highwire, and while Shush always loved to watch, was too afraid of heights herself to be able to try it. She enjoyed life in the circus, and spent a lot of time with the other performers, learning about them and listening to them, even though she herself couldn't talk, the other ponies said that she was expressive enough without words. She learned to write at an early age, still needing to express herself through words when actions and impressions failed her at times. Despite her inability to speak, it never stopped Shush from making friends and enjoying life with those around her.

Being part of a traveling Circus, she got to travel and see many things her entire life. When she was very young, her parents took her to see some street performers, telling her about how ponies didn't act in just circuses, but there were theaters for other kinds of shows and performances that ponies did on street corners such as this. Shush loved the show, but became enamored with a type of clown she saw, one who did not make a sound even when he fell or was startled. She loved it that he didn't need to make a sound to make his performance great. It showed her that through expression and movement alone, she could show who she was and share ideas or fears. His movements and expressions were his voice, and she became determined to share her own voice in the same way. Her parents told her that he was called a mime.

Shush began to study miming almost immediately after seeing that performance, though she still practiced illusions and other tricks as well. Shush was soon able to participate in acts in the circus, and did her own act to draw in customers from the street. Over time she collected enough skills in miming, juggling, and illusions to have her own show in one of the smaller tents. Shush loved being part of the circus, but over time began to feel that she should travel on her own, knowing that while she was still learning at the circus, could learn to improve her act even more traveling on her own and learning from other ponies. Shush finally decided to leave the circus for a time, hoping to improve her skills and learn new tricks outside of that world. Shush recently made her way to Ponyville, and has set up camp just on the outskirts.

Personality: Shush is a little more reserved when not preforming, but isn't afraid to be out and about meeting new ponies. She enjoys learning about others professions and loves to do tricks and little acts to make ponies smile or laugh. She's adventurous by nature and is always interested in learning as many things as she can.

Cutie Mark:
      Shush Mumzy's cutie mark is three stacked juggling balls, representing performance. Growing up in a traveling circus, she was constantly around other performers, not just her parents. She spent a lot of time learning magic tricks, and making up her own, with her father. She also spent a lot of time with the clowns, learning how to make ponies laugh. One day while everyone was getting ready for the next big show, she was out passing around fliers to advertise. Few ponies seemed to be taking them though, so she decided to practice some of the smaller magic tricks she'd been taught, and work on her juggling. While working on her juggling, a couple of ponies stopped to watch. Shush began to practice some magic tricks with the balls, making them “disappear” and causing them to seemingly float. Shush had soon gathered a small crowd of ponies and run out of fliers. She was so busy during her performance that she didn't notice until after she was done, and it was pointed out to her by one of the ponies who had first joined the crowd, that she'd gotten her cutie mark. Three juggling balls.

Use:
      Both forum RP and Shoutbox RP

Other:
      Shush carries a notepad and pencil with her in order to be able to communicate through words, and also has a notebook filled with preset phrases to quickly tell ponies things (such as her name) when they would have a hard time understanding her just through gestures. She has a small cart that she keeps her supplies in for her performances, which are a combination of miming and illusions, while throwing comedy into the show. When planning a long performance, she will often carry this cart with her. Otherwise she has saddlebags that she keeps her supplies in.

Shush cannot do actual magic but WILL be using illusions like we see in shows today. That means that some of her tricks will seem like magic and I will NOT be explaining how she does them, though I will be studying how some tricks are done in order to keep up with the character. There are some things that have been used in magic acts through the ages that could possibly conflict with equestrian technology. I will ask an RP mod before using them in any role play, but would prefer to keep as much of her performances in the illusionist area as secret as possible.
      Last edited by Rose Bubble; 08-12-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Coco Pommel is best Pony.

#CARE Celestia Actually Ruined Everything

The Great and Powerful
      The Great and Apologetic
      Trixie is the most magnificent
      and humble pony you've ever
      seen.

Cocky

Bits
      Awards Best of '12 - Best RPerTime Lord - Achieved one month online + 10 hours average online time.ArtistThespian
      Bits
      The Great and Powerful Reviewer here to... review!

This is a rather interesting idea for a character, but there are a couple of concerns. The first is about her living in a tent outside Ponyville. Is she planning on only staying a short while, or does she intend to stay? RP takes place almost exclusively in Ponyville, but if you have intent on keeping her there through the RP itself, just make a note here (doesn't even need an edit ). Second, why are illusions so important? RP is all about describing things that happen to paint a picture with words for everyone. These sleight-of-hoof tricks will likely lack impact, in my opinion at least, and it might be better to focus on the miming and juggling aspects more. Also, her talent IS actually juggling, and making illusions the center focus of her act wouldn't make sense. Either tone down the illusions, remove them, or rework her cutie mark to make that her talent instead. Even if you keep juggling as her cutie mark, removing the illusions isn't required but they will need to be less important than her actual talent, and I'm mostly warning you they may be difficult to convey without exposing the tricks.

If you have any questions, PM me or another mod, or add me on Skype, and I'll check back with you soon.

Cutie Mark Creator
      Out of marshmallows and out of
      hope.

Down

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with HonorsWhite Knight
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
      The Great and Powerful Reviewer here to... review!

This is a rather interesting idea for a character, but there are a couple of concerns. The first is about her living in a tent outside Ponyville. Is she planning on only staying a short while, or does she intend to stay? RP takes place almost exclusively in Ponyville, but if you have intent on keeping her there through the RP itself, just make a note here (doesn't even need an edit ). Second, why are illusions so important? RP is all about describing things that happen to paint a picture with words for everyone. These sleight-of-hoof tricks will likely lack impact, in my opinion at least, and it might be better to focus on the miming and juggling aspects more. Also, her talent IS actually juggling, and making illusions the center focus of her act wouldn't make sense. Either tone down the illusions, remove them, or rework her cutie mark to make that her talent instead. Even if you keep juggling as her cutie mark, removing the illusions isn't required but they will need to be less important than her actual talent, and I'm mostly warning you they may be difficult to convey without exposing the tricks.

If you have any questions, PM me or another mod, or add me on Skype, and I'll check back with you soon.
      I have her living in a tent outside of Ponyville for the sake of keeping with the idea that she's a traveling performer, but for the most part she'll be sticking around there for the sake of RP. The exception being in the cases of stories in the Theater or Colosseum that take place away from Ponyville, naturally. She likely will not leave ponyville until I feel I have exhausted all possibilities with her character, and hopefully that does not happen until what I have planned for her has been accomplished.

Shush's talent isn't specifically Juggling. "Shush Mumzy's cutie mark is three stacked juggling balls, representing performance." While her cutie mark is the juggling balls, it's similar to how a pony who might be talented in several mediums of art would have a cutie mark of possibly a paintbrush, even though they can cover a wide range of artistic mediums. Her talent is performing in general. The juggling was just the catalyst that brought about her talent being revealed. I could change her cutie mark story to be a little more clear on that if you like, though I couldn't think of another cutie mark for her that would particularly make sense for her specific skills at that point in time. (I couldn't think of a cutie mark for a mime, and while I like her being able to do illusionist tricks, don't want that as a specific focus for her cutie mark. Using something that represents performing through a medium like theater was out seeing as she has spent most of her time learning to perform in a circus, even though she was exposed to other types or performances during her life.)

The illusions aren't specifically important, it's just one of her skills. I intend to have Shush learn and practice more for her already established skills in performing, as well as gain new ones throughout her life in the role play. I just wanted to cover all of my bases in the illusions area, considering that many things that were used in tricks even in the 1800s might not be easily obtained in Equestria, and I intend to have her eventually advance her skills in this area to one or two of those things. Though right now her skills in illusions would cover small things like card tricks and making objects "disappear" or doing easy "floating" tricks.
      Her juggling is good, and can easily draw a crowd, and she can do a lot of tricks with things like balls, pins, and other kinds of items that would be easy to handle, though I intend to have her gain more skills in this as well, learning to juggle different items, perhaps things like torches or objects made of glass, and more of them over time.
      Her strongest skills right now are in Miming, and I'm honestly not sure how to explain HOW, seeing as miming is a silent art that generally includes no props and is depicted entirely through movement (or lack of) and expression. (I also don't know that much about mimes. I'm working on that. I don't feel that it will be hard to write however, seeing as explaining expression and movement is important in stories and roleplay, it's just making it the focus for her.) She uses all of these skills in her performances, and I hope for her to gather more.

Thank you for reviewing Trixie! I'm excited to get started working with Shush as soon as possible, so the sooner we can work out any issues and iron out the details, the better.

Coco Pommel is best Pony.

#CARE Celestia Actually Ruined Everything

She's Cute Though, So It's Alright
      Emotionless

Bits
      Awards Asset to the ForumBest of '13 - Best Staff, Best OPGood OPLinguistTime LordThespianElement of Generosity
      Bits
      @Rose Bubble

Looks pretty good!

Much like Trixie commented, I'd advise on being somewhat wary towards the use of illusions. It's not that there's anything incorrect or not allowable about the performance of illusions, but rather that the combination of Equestrian universe and the general nature of role-play makes such actions convoluted. The problem, more than anything, is that without the explanation of what is actually being done, there's nothing for the reader to differentiate it from unicorn magic; (which, more or less, would lead to RPers assuming Shush was a unicorn) probably reacting both in character and mentally OOC, to the "magic performance" before expecting or growing curious of how it was pulled off as an illusion. How would you combat this, as to ensure RPers get the correct understanding?

The only other thing I'm seeing of concern is the lack of mention as to why Shush is mute. This is a bit of a double-edged sword, admittedly, as muteness doesn't have many causes which trace back to birth defects, severe injury, or other things which generally are unexplored (and thus disallowed) in Equestrian canon. Probably the most fitting thing would be the usage of selective muteness, but from what I'm understanding here, it sounds more like you intend to have Shush physically unable to procure vocal sounds. Personally, I think exploring a character with selective muteness would be interesting and give another level of depth to the character, in which you as the RPer could opt to never speak, or "drop the veil" and have Shush speak in rare instances... but that's just me, and I fully understand if you don't want that for your character. Regardless, you're going to want to come up with and tell us some sort of explanation.

Edit back!
      Last edited by Twilight Sparkle; 08-22-2013 at 11:09 PM.