FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!

User Tag List

• Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      *SYRIX INTENSIFIES*

WTF

Eastern Missouri, United States of America
      Bits
      User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
      Bits

Angry Gaming Rant

Should this go in Debates?

Where as I Don't Know was about venting sadness and depression, this is for resolving the tension that stems from hatred for two things:

WTF is and Dark Souls

"This is a first impressions critique, and should be treated as such." Hypocrisy. Totalbiscuit bases recommendations and critique on games he neverfinishes. You shouldn't formulate an opinion on a game you haven't beaten. "He doesn't have time to make reviews." Then he needs to make time. If he would stop putting out several videos a week, he'd be able to get some time to get through a game from start to finish. But he can't, because YouTube is his job. He needs ad revenue to stay afloat.

But I still wouldn't give him approval for switching to reviews. Not because I don't share his views on games, but because reviews are actually useless.

Reviews shouldn't be constructive criticism. If there was any such thing as a "good" or "right" opinion, then people would all think the same. The problem is that people think it's all right to say, "My opinion is right. The game would be objectively better if it___" In truth you cannot objectify any form of Media. People have different ideas of what is and isn't enjoyable. Reviews you should be extensive looks at everything a game has to offer. It would be significantly more valuable to the consumer if they were done in such a manner as to provide information, so the consumers can determine whether or not it's something they would like. As it stands, reviewers are doing a poor job at actually reviewing.

Let's not get meta about this, okay? I've got to call it a night. I'll try to finish this tomorrow.
      WTFs Cyrus, Wheatley WTF'd at this

I'm Syrix, ya know me?

Lord
      Finally coming out as the real
      me

Fabulous

Bits
      Bits
      Hold on a sec. First off this post is pretty incoherent. I suggest editing it and rewriting it to try to clarify your intent.

Now assuming that I did understand what you're trying to say here, I want to give a few tips on using game reviews.

Don't read a review when the reviewer admits that they barely played a game.

Also, find a few reviewers who seem to like the same games you like. Pay attention to what they say about games because chances are that you're going to agree with what they say.
      Likes Soarin', Sam Gideon liked this post

What can I do ya for
      Wandering Vagabond

Smitten

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with Honors - Thanks for all the hard work as staff, Dave!Asset to the ForumGood OPBest of '13 - Mass Debater
      Bits
      I... what?

This is all over the place. Fun fact: about 90% of video game reviewers only play about 50-60% of a game before reviewing it, especially for longer games that have about 30-40 hours of story mode. It's plenty of time to determine how good the controls, Voice acting, graphics etc are, and it doesn't mean they get bogged down and release a belated review.

Reviews shouldn't provide constructive criticism? What? So you're saying all a game review should be is "This is the game, this is what happens". Video game reviews ARE opinion, and to listen to a single one is silly. However, if about 5 or 6 game reviews all say the same things need improvement, well then it's a good bet that those things need improvement. Offering constructive criticism allows gamers to make more informed opinions on whether to spend $50 on a game that may or may not be as buggy as heck (Aliens: Colonial Marines springs to mind). Claiming that they're doing it wrong just because they suggest what might make it more enjoyable, even to just them, is pure silliness.

Reviews are anything but useless. If they didn't exist no one would have any idea whether a new Video Game, film, book etc will be any good or not, because you'd only have the views of the creators to judge on.
      Likes Soarin', Sam Gideon, Wheatley liked this post

*SYRIX INTENSIFIES*

WTF

Bits
      Bits
      On second thought, I'd like to keep this in Life and Rants.

I still stand by my post. And I'm not going to argue with either of you about it.

But if I wanted to improve this post, I could. If I tried. I guess...
      I'm Syrix, ya know me?

This is a status.

Toxic

Bits
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Certainly Syrix View Post
      And I'm not going to argue with either of you about it.
      There's nothing to argue about. The original post made no sense until I read it twice. Reviews are useless? If we didn't have reviews, we'd end up buying games that are terrible. Now, I could go on about what's wrong with your post, but Ika and Braeburn have practically said it for me already.
      Last edited by Sam Gideon; 01-30-2014 at 12:15 PM.
      Likes Cyrus, Wheatley liked this post

*SYRIX INTENSIFIES*

WTF

Bits
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Sam Gideon View Post
      There's nothing to argue about. The original post made no sense until I read it twice. Reviews are useless? If we didn't have reviews, we'd end up buying games that are terrible. Now, I could go on about what's wrong with your post, but Ika and Braeburn have practically said it for me already.
      I don't think of you understood my post.

Again, this is not a debate thread. So if you don't agree with me, don't bother posting.

More rants will be coming soon.
      WTFs Wheatley WTF'd at this

I'm Syrix, ya know me?

This is a status.

Toxic

Bits
      Bits
      I don't think of you understood my post.

Again, this is not a debate thread. So if you don't agree with me, don't bother posting.

More rants will be coming soon.
      I can't facehoof hard enough.

It doesn't matter if it isn't a debate thread. I was pointing out that your post made no sense. If you don't like that, then that's your problem.

Not being nasty here, so don't assume that. I'm being truthful.
      Last edited by Sam Gideon; 02-03-2014 at 08:59 AM.

*SYRIX INTENSIFIES*

WTF

Bits
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Sam Gideon View Post
      I can't facehoof hard enough.

It doesn't matter if it isn't a debate thread. I was pointing out that your post made no sense. If you don't like that, then that's your problem.

Not being nasty here, so don't assume that. I'm being truthful.
      Please go away. This isn't what I made this thread for.
      WTFs Wheatley WTF'd at this

Emotionless

Bits
      Bits
      If you are not seeking feedback on your thoughts, you should consider two things before making a thread:

First, should the thread be created in the first place? Forums (specifically the threads therein) are places to communicate with others. One person creates a topic, others respond to it, and, ideally, the original poster contributes to the conversation in a timely manner and attempts to keep it from derailing. Therefore, if you are not looking to have a dialogue, there rarely, if ever, a reason to create a thread.

However, if, by some ridiculous chance, you find yourself feeling that whatever is on your mind does warrant a thread, you also must consider the layout of the thread and how your convey your thoughts into words. For example, in this thread your introduction was a question... and a rather revealing one at that. You asked whether this topic should be in Debates or not. Simply by asking that question you opened the topic up to responses, not only about whether the thread was indeed in the wrong subforum, but also to debates about the topic being discussed as you implied it was quite debatable.

Those are two issues simply with the thread itself and with the very first line of said thread. I could go on if it were truly needed, but I feel I have made my point. Next time you feel the need to simply vent, and you do not want any feedback from your fellow forum-goers, simply put your thoughts into a Word document or another outlet in which there are no recipients who also have the capability of responding. It is equally therapeutic and does not lead to further aggravation on your behalf as you respond to the others in the thread.

Baron
      Warning: May Cause Diabetes

Down

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with Honors - For the time you spend with the staff team. Thank you for all your effort.Best of '13 - Kindest Member, Community FavouriteTime Lord - Achieved 1 Month of Online Time with at least 10 hours per day.
      Bits
      He doesn't have to go away if he doesn't want to.

Like Simon said, what's the point of making a thread if you won't listen/let anyone else comment on it? Seems like a waste of time to me.
      Thanks Sam Gideon thanked for this post
      Likes Flowey!, Sam Gideon, Wheatley liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast