FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!

User Tag List

• Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alienated!?!

:P

Secret

Bits
      User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
      Bits

Alienated!?!

i feel like im alienated by some of the members here, it could just be me though. what i mean is, they say weird stuff that i dont understand, it just gets me all cooked up inside. i guess everyone is different though, sometimes they say things out of the blue that arent even related to what i said. i just dont get them is all.

feel free to leave comments below
      (for me to get a better understanding)

Bits
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by brony13 View Post
      i feel like im alienated by some of the members here, it could just be me though. what i mean is, they say weird stuff that i dont understand, it just gets me all cooked up inside. i guess everyone is different though, sometimes they say things out of the blue that arent even related to what i said. i just dont get them is all.

When I first saw the title of this post I thought you might have been referring to the kind best discussed in debates or current events

As to the issue you raised: Equestria Forever like any forum of its size and speciality creates conditions were site specific humour and personal jokes flourish and close knit communities rapidly form through familiarity and shared interests. This is good not only because close knit communities provide a unique brand of enjoyment but also because your feelings of alienation are due not to elitism or some concerted effort of the sites users to exclude you but mere unfamiliarity on your part.

Accordingly if you want to remedy this your best bet of gaining an understanding is simply to immerse ( or even just lurk) yourself in the sites culture. This is something that is best done though the shoutbox. Now it might not be a particularly quick process nor are you guaranteed to find someone you find this sites humor or users genuinely interesting, this being said I would still recommend it as not only would it remove that seed of worry from your mind but also because there some great people who use this site who would make the whole endeavour immediately worthwhile.

PS is a general emote that doesn't really mean anything hope that helps

Secret

Bits
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
      When I first saw the title of this post I thought you might have been referring to the kind best discussed in debates or current events

As to the issue you raised: Equestria Forever like any forum of its size and speciality creates conditions were site specific humour and personal jokes flourish and close knit communities rapidly form through familiarity and shared interests. This is good not only because close knit communities provide a unique brand of enjoyment but also because your feelings of alienation are due not to elitism or some concerted effort of the sites users to exclude you but mere unfamiliarity on your part.

Accordingly if you want to remedy this your best bet of gaining an understanding is simply to immerse ( or even just lurk) yourself in the sites culture. This is something that is best done though the shoutbox. Now it might not be a particularly quick process nor are you guaranteed to find someone you find this sites humor or users genuinely interesting, this being said I would still recommend it as not only would it remove that seed of worry from your mind but also because there some great people who use this site who would make the whole endeavour immediately worthwhile.

PS is a general emote that doesn't really mean anything hope that helps
      im not exactly sure how to respond to this

What can I do ya for
      Wandering Vagabond

Smitten

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with Honors - Thanks for all the hard work as staff, Dave!Asset to the ForumGood OPBest of '13 - Mass Debater
      Bits

from what I have seen, you attempt to talk to a lot of members of the site. However, as with people anywhere, the people you attempt to speak to will all be different individuals, each with their own personality, likes and dislikes, sense of humour and method of conversation. Some will require nothing more than a hello for a conversation to form, while others will require more effort to engage.

Put simply, when you message a large amount of users with a simple 'hello', some will respond, some will not. Those who do respond will all respond differently, and may only be expecting someone to message them if they have something they specifically wanted to talk about. Also some types of humour do not always translate well to text, at least you you are not familiar with the person using that humour.

You shouldn't feel that anyone is trying to alienate you, and if they say something you don't understand, it's probably just them being them. Usually if you ask them what they mean they'll probably try to explain it to you, and that should clear up most confusion.

Bits
      Bits
      im not exactly sure how to respond to this
      Well a "brony13 likes this post" would be a start although I would settle for some reputation

Jokes aside I admit I was a tad long winded here is the tldr:

Lurk more and post more in the shoutbox and you will gain that better understanding

As for responding you can ignore it, laugh at its flaws or use what is helpful from it

Secret

Bits
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Skellington View Post
      from what I have seen, you attempt to talk to a lot of members of the site. However, as with people anywhere, the people you attempt to speak to will all be different individuals, each with their own personality, likes and dislikes, sense of humour and method of conversation. Some will require nothing more than a hello for a conversation to form, while others will require more effort to engage.

Put simply, when you message a large amount of users with a simple 'hello', some will respond, some will not. Those who do respond will all respond differently, and may only be expecting someone to message them if they have something they specifically wanted to talk about. Also some types of humour do not always translate well to text, at least you you are not familiar with the person using that humour.

You shouldn't feel that anyone is trying to alienate you, and if they say something you don't understand, it's probably just them being them. Usually if you ask them what they mean they'll probably try to explain it to you, and that should clear up most confusion.
      what made you think i was talking about humor?

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
      Well a "brony13 likes this post" would be a start although I would settle for some reputation

Jokes aside I admit I was a tad long winded here is the tldr:

Lurk more and post more in the shoutbox and you will gain that better understanding

As for responding you can ignore it, laugh at its flaws or use what is helpful from it
      im not rude like that

What can I do ya for
      Wandering Vagabond

Smitten

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with Honors - Thanks for all the hard work as staff, Dave!Asset to the ForumGood OPBest of '13 - Mass Debater
      Bits
      what made you think i was talking about humor?
      Humour is only one part of it. It's also something that translates to text poorly in most instances.

Secret

Bits
      Bits
      Humour is only one part of it. It's also something that translates to text poorly in most instances.
      im not very good at making something look good

What can I do ya for
      Wandering Vagabond

Smitten

Bits
      Bits
      im not very good at making something look good
      pardon?

All I meant was when you message someone saying 'hello' and they reply with something that seemingly doesn't make sense, they might just be making a joke or something, but it hasn't translated to text very well

Secret

Bits
      Bits
      pardon?

All I meant was when you message someone saying 'hello' and they reply with something that seemingly doesn't make sense, they might just be making a joke or something, but it hasn't translated to text very well
      thats not what im talking about, i dont think your getting it to well.

usually when i text hello, they respond "hi"

i rarely get that experience anymore

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast