FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!

User Tag List

• Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Radio Team Leader
      ._.

Crazy

Bits
      User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
      Bits

RPG attributes (and AGA)

On the old site, I ran an RP I called A Grand Adventure. It was supposed to add game aspects to an other-wise normal RP story, making it more fun and interesting. I let that fall apart since the old site started having issues, and I regret and apologize for this. Part of the reason I had given up on it was related to all the work I had to put into managing player statistics and ability scores and rolling and... it was a lot of mental work.

So, I have been thinking about it and I have thought about using a system of measuring a pony's ability based almost entirely on Fallout's SPECIAL. For those who don't know, SPECIAL stands for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck. These seven attributes should represent a character's natural and trained ability. In creating a character, a player would assign points to the seven attributes, where 5 in any given score is average, 1 is close to nothing, and 10 is almost perfect. Players get 40 points to spend in total, each of the attributes can go no higher than 10 and cannot go lower than 1.

SPECIAL should describe how skilled a pony is in those general areas. They are not a true reflection of a pony's personality or individual specialties. Similar to D&D, these would be taken into account when the dice start rolling, to make a character more likely to succeed at overcoming an obstacle that they would find easier because of their abilities. This is pretty much it. They change randomness in a way that is quantifiable and focused in specific areas.

In relating back to A Grand Adventure. If players created their own SPECIAL representation of their character, it would simplify a lot of the game, keeping the randomness in the game, and giving players more control over what defines their character.

What do people think? I feel like there's something missing, but I don't quite know what.

Spoiler: Mane 6 test/examples 

Best Background Pony

Stayin' Alive

Drunk

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with Honors - It's been a pleasure serving with you, you're always welcome to return.Best of '12 - Best RiM HostTime LordThespianAsset to the Forum
      Bits
      Hmmm, perhaps we should tag the other old members in here so they know where they should offer their two cents.

Radio Team Leader
      All the infected fall before
      Nurse Redheart!

Friendly

Bits
      Bits
      Sounds interesting, but...
      Are you saying this would also use dice?
      Spoiler: Epona 

Spoiler: Radio Is Magic Reporter 

Info On Radio Is Magic: RadioIsMagic.org
      Tune In Here: Radio Is Magic Livestream

Radio Team Leader
      ._.

Crazy

Bits
      Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Epona View Post
      Sounds interesting, but...
      Are you saying this would also use dice?
      Not real dice. Random number generators or something along those lines.

It's supposed to add an element of randomness, while basing it on an individual character's skill, and hopefully making the game fun.

(also: tagging @Fluttershy and @ToxicEquestrian)
      Last edited by Stix; 08-21-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Chaos Baby
      Emotionless

Bits
      Awards Good OPAsset to the ForumElement of Generosity
      Bits
      even if you don't actually use these it's probably a good thing to figure out to gain more understanding of your character

Radio Team Leader
      Nurse Redheart!

Friendly

Bits
      Bits
      So this will be operating as you being the "DM" for lack of better word, and you would be doing all the random generating?

Possibly radioactive.

Geeky

Bits
      Bits
      I could definitely do my own dice rolling (I also actually own DnD dice sets. Six of them. And dnd character attribute sheets and know somewhat how they are filled.) And can do other attribute work for my own character.

Disnerd at Heart
      Well, hello.

Tired

Bits
      Bits
      I actually think that the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system works a bit better, in terms of allowing people unfamiliar with DnD to take part. I have to admit that I was extremely confused and overwhelmed by the DnD character sheets for AGA. I feel like S.P.E.C.I.A.L. would be a bit more user-friendly, so to speak.

Keeping the dice-roll mechanic is a definite must, though. As stated above, it'd allow for an element of randomness, and the element of failure, which always makes for good RP events. I approve of this, and would definitely like to see AGA or something similar come to be on this forum.

I miss Ruby Sharpshot.

Radio Team Leader
      ._.

Crazy

Bits
      Bits
      I would love to get back into the RP too. Unfortunately I have no way of contacting the other member of the group, EquestrianScholar. He doesn't seem to visit the old site anymore, and it doesn't look like he's signed up here yet. I think we will have to run another recruiting run, open it up again, find another player. But I look forward to getting started again.

Before we can continue with the RP, I think we would have to discuss and decide on a small set of guidelines or rules for rolling. I've been thinking of a few different rolling systems, each have their own pros and cons and I can't decide what would be best... So I'll just list them here and maybe you guys can provide some input..

In this system, you subtract 5 from your luck and add a random number between -2 and +2 (the range could be broadened depending on how based on rolling people want it, but ultimately it means that a luck of 5 makes an average roll of 0). You then add this to your relevant skill * 2 and that is your result (you multiply by 2 to prevent a luck of 10 being as powerful as having a 10 on the relevant skill). This system is good because it makes the numbers clean, and it's not too hard to understand, and it means that the average roll for an average character would be 10.

The other primary system I was considering had you roll a random number between 1 and your luck score, adding your relevant skill to that result (and not multiplying it by 2 this time). This one is a little trickier to work with but I like it's use of luck...

The luck skill really makes things hard, doesn't it? Maybe we should just remove it entirely?

Radio Team Leader
      Nurse Redheart!

Friendly

Bits
      Bits
      Hmmm, lets of word but I think I get the jist of it. Well, what would the main factor of luck be in the rp? (besides adding it into dice rolls) I can only really think of crits, but I don't really know if those would be that important in a pony adventure rp.

Also will this be a continuation of wherever y'all left off of at RiM, or will it be a re-boot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast