FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!
  • Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Let's get Cynical!
      You may be right; I may be
      crazy, but it just may be a
      lunatic you're looking for.

Confident

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with HonorsLinguistElement of Generosity
      An update on the craziness to see if anyone is interested. I'm going to outline the whole trip that I am now planning for this (sure to be) crazy week and a half long road trip. [MENTION=2]Twilight Sparkle[/MENTION]; showed a bit of interest, but if we could get one or two more, it would be pretty outstanding.

Anyway, here goes nothing:

Friday, July 8th - Sunday July 10th -- Bronycon

The details are quite lacking for this part of the trip at the moment. Basically the con usually opens around 10am on Friday, but it's easier if you get there Thursday night for pre-registration. The end of the con is pretty much around 4pm on Sunday unless you're planning on going to closing ceremonies. In order to get a jump on the trip, we'd likely leave prior to closing ceremonies.

Sunday, July 10th Evening

We would leave Bronycon and head straight towards Six Flags New England (located in Agawam, MA). The trip would take a bit under 5.5 hours, so we would arrive shortly before midnight assuming we stop once or twice for gas and a bathroom break. There are quite a few motels/hotels in the general area. Depending on interest and how many people are going, we'd have an exact location for a hotel as the date grew nearer.

There is also a possibility of having free lodging this night if Twilight could arrange such a thing since he has family nearby, but the general idea would be a hotel/motel for now.

Monday, July 11th -- Six Flags New England

https://www.sixflags.com/newengland/...s/thrill-rides -- Ride list (The main rides I'd focus on anyway. Do some digging if you like the slower rides. =P )

We'd spend the day at Six Flags New England. Assuming similar park hours to 2015, the park would open at 10:30am and close at 9:00pm. I'd imagine we'd spend just about the whole time there depending on interest. We would leave from there and head towards the next park, which is in New Jersey.

This would allow us to arrive around 1am, which gives us ample sleeping time to prepare for the next leg of the trip.

Tuesday, July 12th -- Six Flags Great Adventure

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadvent...s/thrill-rides (Ride list)

This would be quite similar to Monday, but with all different rides. The only other difference would be that this park is open from 10:30am-10pm, so if we plan to stay the whole day, we'd be leaving a bit later. However, the next trip is a little shorter, so it would work out about the same, arriving near 1am.

Wednesday, July 13th -- Six Flags America

Rides: https://www.sixflags.com/america/att...s/thrill-rides

Our and final amusement park on this wild road trip sees us back near where we started in Baltimore. This park is only open from 10:30am - 8pm on weekdays, allowing us to get a jump on the trip to Trotcon (the longest drive of the bunch).

This wouldn't put us at the hotel until about 3am, but we would have plenty of time for sleeping on Thursday before pre-registration.

Thursday, July 14th -- Rest and Pre-Registration

This day would mostly be spent resting up and getting ready for the second con of the trip, Trotcon in Columbus, OH. Pre-registration would be Thursday night around 6pm, but we'd be staying in the hotel where the con is located, so that would not be a problem to reach.

Friday, July 15th - Sunday, July 17th

Trotcon details, much like Bronycon details are not etched in stone, but the would be similar in that opening ceremonies would be some time around 10am on Friday with closing ceremonies somewhere around 5pm on Sunday.

The Entirety of the Trip

This is pretty much the entire route I will drive from my house, to the cons and the parks. If people are somewhat near this route and want to be picked up rather than trying to fly into somewhere or drive to one of the cons, that would be even better, but this is the idea at the moment.

Approximate Costs

Trotcon -- $30 for the weekend (register before September 21st). Hotel cost: ~$99 per night for three nights. This would be split amongst however many people we got into our room. This year we had six, so it was quite cheap.

Six Flags Season Pass -- These vary considerably depending on when you buy them, but last year I got mine in a four pack where each was only about $70 including parking and I'd definitely be willing to split the four pack with interested parties. I'll go high-ball and say $100, just so you're not surprised if it's higher. This will get you into all three parks (which are about $60 for one day).

Hotels/Motels on Amusement Park days -- These vary anywhere between $40-100 a night depending on how comfortable people are in cheap motels. I'd lean towards the cheap ones, but again, going high-ball for the estimates, $100 a night for three nights would net us about $300 total for all parties.

Bronycon -- $65 for the weekend (register by October 10th). Hotel is ~$139/night for three nights. Like Trotcon, this would be split amongst however many people were willing to share a room, even if they weren't going on the whole trip with us.

Total : If we were to get four people, the total (excluding food) would be at most about $450. This is assuming rather expensive hotels near the amusement parks, and the four of us being the only ones helping out with the con hotels.

With three people, the cost would be about $535. Same as above, assuming expensive hotels and excluding food.

Possible snags:

The biggest issue that comes to mind is getting home from Trotcon after everything else.

Two possible remedies for this are either me driving people home on the following Monday (if they are even remotely close to Columbus), or having them fly into Columbus on Thursday, July 7th, pooling with me down to Bronycon in the first place, and then flying out of Columbus on Monday, July 18th after Trotcon concludes.

This is the very basic outline of what I'm thinking about doing for an amazing road trip. Things could change a bit and if anyone has ideas to make it better or has any questions about it, we can definitely discuss it. Hopefully we can gather some interest and get a concrete plan soon.
      Last edited by Oborawatabinost; 08-13-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Just because I'm chosen by fate or something.
      Mostly silent protagonist.

Godly

Bits
      Awards Asset to the ForumWhite KnightGood OP
      It all depends on where I am, and when. I don't think I'd be willing to pay for another plane ticket on top of all this, since I'm going to be starting into real college and all, and I need my money.

...That being said, there's a pretty good chance that I'll be moving to Maryland or somewhere out east sometime in the summer or so, so if that happens before this, heck, I might even be down for that crazy plan Noi has. (One thing to consider though, it'll be summer, so the parks may be crazy busy.)

Large and in charge

Tired

Bits
      I'm Really tempted to try this, though again as I'm sure I sound like a broken record, money is the issue with doing any of said activities. I can't make any promises but when the time comes for getting plane tickets, we'll see if it's possible or not.

The Spooniest Bard
      Occasional Do-er of Things

Innocent

Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
      Woah. Which Six Flags'? NJ, America (MD), and ..? There's also Cedar Fair parks (King's Island, King's Dominion, Cedar Point); both companies let you get into all their parks with their season pass last time I checked.

I know the intended plan (if you can call it that, we've confirmed literally nothing) for [MENTION=73]Trixie[/MENTION]; and I was to go from Baltimore to his mom's place in WV, hold down the fort there Monday-Thursday, and go from there to Columbus. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a crazy theme-park roadtrip in-between, but I'm not sure how well everyone's finances could support that.
      I figure I'll probably be going with you two again. Someone has to order fried rice for 12 year olds to spill in new cars.
      Twilight Sparkle may be a pedophile

Let's get Cynical!
      You may be right; I may be
      crazy, but it just may be a
      lunatic you're looking for.

Confident

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with HonorsLinguistElement of Generosity
      Quote Originally Posted by Celestia! View Post
      It all depends on where I am, and when. I don't think I'd be willing to pay for another plane ticket on top of all this, since I'm going to be starting into real college and all, and I need my money.

...That being said, there's a pretty good chance that I'll be moving to Maryland or somewhere out east sometime in the summer or so, so if that happens before this, heck, I might even be down for that crazy plan Noi has. (One thing to consider though, it'll be summer, so the parks may be crazy busy.)
      Yeah, crowdedness could be a bit of a snag, but if my luck when I went to Six Flags St. Louis is any indication we should be good. Besides, the fact that it's summer will be slightly counteracted by the fact they are all weekdays. Either way, I wouldn't mind the lines being the first time I've been to any of the parks. And yes, you should come along.

Bits
      It bothers me when the fandom competes against itself in such a hostile way, it fractures and gives bad publicity which in turn makes future cons more difficult. A simmilar thing happened in Australia between AusBrony Con and Sidneigh, although I dont think it will be as disastrous as it was here it still leaves me feeling uncomfortable

The Great and Powerful
      The Great and Apologetic
      Trixie is the most magnificent
      and humble pony you've ever
      seen.

Cocky

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Best of '12 - Best RPerTime Lord - Achieved one month online + 10 hours average online time.ArtistThespian
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shill View Post
      It bothers me when the fandom competes against itself in such a hostile way, it fractures and gives bad publicity which in turn makes future cons more difficult. A simmilar thing happened in Australia between AusBrony Con and Sidneigh, although I dont think it will be as disastrous as it was here it still leaves me feeling uncomfortable
      Actually it doesn't seem to be the case here. The convention center that Bronycon has booked the past 3 years was already taken for next year at its usual time, so they had to move it up for the sake of having the space. Trotcon had already reserved their convention center / hotel prior to that occurrence... which has now unfortunately locked them both down at being a week apart. No hostile competition at all, just poor luck and timing!

Awesome

Bits
      I don't think I'll be doing both. I live in NJ, Bronycon is my main trip next year. Once all the air fare and hotels and stuff adds up, it's really not gonna work and it's really not gonna save money. However I think I might go somewhere smaller and cheaper as well, just a whole lot closer to home. (I'm thinking maybe going to Ponycon, or Derpycon.)

Count
      HIT THE LEVER.

Cool

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Best of '14 - Mass DebaterShouter - Top 5 in lifetime shoutsTime Lord
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneoftheoldestbroniesever View Post
      I don't think I'll be doing both. I live in NJ, Bronycon is my main trip next year. Once all the air fare and hotels and stuff adds up, it's really not gonna work and it's really not gonna save money. However I think I might go somewhere smaller and cheaper as well, just a whole lot closer to home. (I'm thinking maybe going to Ponycon, or Derpycon.)
      Air fare? Getting to Baltimore from NJ is like... a three hour drive (source: someone who traveled to Bronycon from NJ by car). You could probably drive, and it'd be much cheaper.

As for the doubleheadder I think I'll stay away from it, going to two conventions in such a short span of time is impractical for me (I'm probably going to try and find a suitable winter con near NJ though).
      My Friend Code is: 0146-9420-2573

Awesome

Bits
      I don't want to bore you with details. But, I can't drive. So, for the past few years I have needed to take a train to Baltimore. It only takes me, like an hour and a half. Wait... did you think I meant, flying to Baltimore? I would never do that. I wasn't being very specific, I meant the air fare to Ohio for Trotcon. I was just pointing out why I wouldn't be able to do both. Sorry, for the confusion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast