FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!
  • Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
  • Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by M14Brony View Post
      I am currently reading Karl Kautsky's Foundations of Christianity.
      Im not sure If my original post was lost or not but regardless, how on earth did you come across Kautstky yet alone choose to read that particular work of his?

Happy

Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shill View Post
      Im not sure If my original post was lost or not but regardless, how on earth did you come across Kautstky yet alone choose to read that particular work of his?
      I have been into left-wing politics for a number of years, and I was interested in reading a historical materialist work on the rise of Christianity.

Even though I live alone, I ended up taking a good deal on a two bedroom apartment a few years ago so I could turn the other bedroom into my personal library.
      "Bourgeois historiography, despite its superficial objectivity and respectability, is politicized and tendentious to no lesser degree than the Stalinist school of falsification."

-Vadim Z. Rogovin

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

If there is anyone selling
      tickets off this planet hit me
      up okay?

Geeky

Bits
      I have been reading a book called Hell's Highway for the 8th time, its about Operation Market garden and the airborne divisions that participated in that.

Bits
      I have been into left-wing politics for a number of years, and I was interested in reading a historical materialist work on the rise of Christianity.
      Nice, I mainly know Kautsky from the smashing Lenin gave him in State and Revolution. Have you read Fauerbachs Essence of Christianity? I recall him being one of the founding figures of what would become historical materialism. Also have you read anything about dialectical materialism?

Nice job scoring that second room, its always a bother finding space books (especially when you have a backlog)

Happy

Bits
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver Shill View Post
      Nice, I mainly know Kautsky from the smashing Lenin gave him in State and Revolution. Have you read Fauerbachs Essence of Christianity? I recall him being one of the founding figures of what would become historical materialism. Also have you read anything about dialectical materialism?

Nice job scoring that second room, its always a bother finding space books (especially when you have a backlog)
      On an interesting note, Lenin's The Proletarian Revolution and the Renegade Kautsky is a superb "follow up" to The State and Revolution. Kautsky obviously ended up abandoning Marxism, but his work on Christianity is worth reading (it also predates his complete abandonment of Marxism).

I have a copy of Feuerbach's Essence of Christianity, but I haven't read it yet. I have read some basic works on dialectical materialism (Anti-Dühring, Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical German Philosophy, The ABC of Materialist Dialectics, In Defense of Marxism, bit and pieces of Plekhanov, etc. but I would like to brush up on the subject again, as it has been some time since I have read such works (full-time work and full-time college had me busy for a couple of years).
      Last edited by M14Brony; 09-04-2015 at 09:37 PM.
      "Bourgeois historiography, despite its superficial objectivity and respectability, is politicized and tendentious to no lesser degree than the Stalinist school of falsification."

-Vadim Z. Rogovin

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Bits
      On an interesting note, Lenin's The Proletarian Revolution and the Renegade Kautsky is a superb "follow up" to The State and Revolution. Kautsky obviously ended up abandoning Marxism, but his work on Christianity is worth reading (it also predates his complete abandonment of Marxism). I have a copy of Feuerbach's Essence of Christianity, but I haven't read it yet. I have read some basic works on dialectical materialism (Anti-Dühring, Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical German Philosophy, The ABC of Materialist Dialectics, In Defense of Marxism, bit and pieces of Plekhanov, etc. but I would like to brush up on the subject again, as it has been some time since I have read such works (full-time work and full-time college had me busy for a couple of years).

That is some very interesting reading material you have ahead of you. As for myself Ive a few of the classics but find the works made by progress publishers like the ABC books to be very helpful. Now whilst I grasp historical materialism quite well dialectical materialism has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. I read a few works and articles on it however I find my understanding to be superficial and short lived, being unable to readily apply it in new situations outside of the examples in the text. I know its a core component of Marxist analysis but it has always struck me as having a very odd mystical element to it. Though I have heard that Lenins "Materialism and Empirio-criticism" is meant to be one of the better texts on it, I confess Ive yet to track down a copy.

Emotionless

Bits
      Attempted to read Star Wars: Aftermath. Gave up long before it was over and sat there horribly depressed for half an hour, slowly coming to understand how much had been lost in exchange for this book. It's bad. It's Fifty Shades of Grey bad.

Shrouded In Darkness
      I'm a cold killer, its what my
      hands are for.

Sneaky

Bits
      Blog Entries
      The Reckoners series, by Brandon Sanderson.

Everyone dies. It's how one
      lives that matters.

Wise

A small village on the western shores of Lake Michigan
      Bits
      I would say, but I don't want to break rules 1 & 2

Emotionless

Bits
      Finally decided to sit down and actually read I, Robot. Certainly very promising so far.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast