FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!
  • Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
      She's Cute Though, So It's Alright
      Geeky

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Asset to the ForumBest of '13 - Best Staff, Best OPGood OPLinguistTime LordThespianElement of Generosity

OCTGN Setup - Play the MLP CCG Online

The MLP CCG is a pretty fun card game, but if you're like me, there's not exactly a lot of people around with which to play it. Luckily, someone took the time to code the CCG into a tabletop simulator, so now you can play it over the internet with people that don't live near you! Some of the control functions are a bit convoluted, but overall, it works pretty well. This thread will explain how to set up the simulator for the MLP CCG, and offer links to all the files you will need in order to play.

Installing

1) Install OCTGN

OCTGN (pronounced Octagon) is the tabletop simulation program which is the base of the online CCG. This program is universal and can be used for all sorts of games, which is why it requires a bit of configuration.

Download the program here, just take whatever the current stable version is.

2) Create OCTGN Account

This is pretty self-explanatory, but you'll need an OCTGN account in order to log into the simulator and perform the steps after this one. Head here to get that set up.

3) Add MLP CCG Game Feed

The MLP CCG is a user-created OCTGN game that is not installed by default. After logging in, you will need to click the "Games Manager" tab, as shown below.

Once there, select the green "Add Games Feed" button.

The popup dialog will ask for a name and a feed URL. You can ignore the "username" and "password" fields here. Enter whatever you'd like in the "Name" field, it is simply what the feed will appear as to you. I named mine 'MLP CCG'.

For the feed URL, copy and paste the following in its entirety: https://www.myget.org/f/octgngamedirectory

Click the green "Add" button when you are done.

4) Install MLP CCG Game

Still on the "Games Manager" tab, hit the dropdown on the left and select the feed you just added. It will appear as whatever you input as its name in the previous step.

Scroll down the list of games that will populate until you see "My Little Pony - CCG". Click it and simply select "Install".

5) Install Image Packs (Optional)

You do not need to perform this step, but it will make playing the CCG much nicer. By default, the cards have no images, and are essentially snippets of text with their names and power levels/requirements.

To add image packs, first download them from here.

On the same "Games Manager" tab as before, select "Add Image Packs". Browse to the files you just downloaded, select them, and hit open. The cards will now have full images.

Creating Decks

Creating decks is optional. There are the default decks and a few pre-created decks that come with the CCG download. If you have a built deck you'd like to playtest, or if you'd like to try your hand at custom deckbuilding, read on.

There are two ways to create CCG decks. The best way, in my opinion, is to use Ponyhead's deckbuilder.

(a) Ponyhead Deckbuilder

On Ponyhead's site, scroll through the cards and build your desirable deck. This guide will not go through card requirements, but make sure you have at least 1 Mane Character, 10 Problems, and an overall minimum of 45 cards in your deck. Ponyhead will auto-restrict some game limits, like the max of 3 for the same friend.

Once your Ponyhead deck is built, copy the URL. Head here and paste the URL in. You will download a .o8d file which can be loaded directly into the OCTGN tabletop during a game.

(b) OCTGN Deckbuilder

OCTGN has a built-in deckbuilder that can be accessed from within OCTGN at any time by selecting "Deck Editor" at the top of the main window.

Using this method, you can scroll through and view your cards as you search. Double-click a card to add it to your deck. OCTGN will not auto-enforce game restrictions.
      While OCTGN's deckbuilder is a bit more difficult to use, it is the guaranteed way of creating a working deck file. Ponyhead updates faster than OCTGN with new card releases, and importing a Ponyhead deck file with cards which are not yet in OCTGN will leave you unknowingly missing cards in your deck.

Playing the CCG

With everything installed and set up, you're ready to play! Log in to OCTGN and click the "Play or Spectate" tab.

To start/host a new game lobby, click the green "Start" button:

You will be prompted to set a few game options. If you have no other OCTGN games installed, just hit "Start". Take note of the "Game Name", so whoever you're looking to play will be able to find it.
      If you have other OCTGN games installed, hit the dropdown on this page and choose "My Little Pony - CCG".

To join a previously set-up lobby, hit the orange "Refresh" button:

OCTGN will search for available games. Find the one you're looking for, and just click on it to join.
      If you see random other games showing up, switch the "Uninstalled Games" slider to "Hide".

Once in a lobby, you will see the players on the left. Leave the "Two-Sided Table" option on (blue). You will have the ability to allow or restrict non-player spectating. Spectators cannot see cards in either player's hand.

If you want to spectate the game, find your name in the left box and click on "Play". It will switch to "Spectate". Only two players can be set to "Play" at the same time.

When you are ready to play, hit "Start". The playing field will load. Select the "File" menu at the top, then select "Load Deck". Choose a .o8d deck file you have saved, or navigate to one of the prebuilt decks. Hit F12 to set up your side of the table for the beginning of the game.

For reference, the following are things to know about the playing field:

Detailed instructions and controls for the OCTGN MLP CCG can be found at the developer's site here.

PLEASE support the official MLP CCG.

Enterplay can only continue to develop this great game with your support as a consumer. This online player is intended for personal use only.

If you cannot buy MLP CCG theme decks and booster packs at local shops or big-box retailers, here are a few places online at which to purchase them:

Enterplay Direct: http://www.enterplaystore.com/catego...?categoryId=17
      Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_to...node=165793011
      ToyWiz: http://www.toywiz.com/mlpfimcards.html

Local Store Locator: http://www.enter-play.com/superstorefinder/index.php
      Last edited by Twilight Sparkle; 05-20-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Emotionless

Bits
      So I was curious. Is anyone actually playing on OCTGN?

I've stopped by a few times and I'm not seeing any games of MLP. In fact, I'm barely seeing any games of... well... anything.

Geeky

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Asset to the ForumBest of '13 - Best Staff, Best OPGood OPLinguistTime LordThespianElement of Generosity
      Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRogue View Post
      So I was curious. Is anyone actually playing on OCTGN?

I've stopped by a few times and I'm not seeing any games of MLP. In fact, I'm barely seeing any games of... well... anything.
      I don't think it's very widely used, and certainly not for the CCG. Whenever I usually search for games, I only see the one that whoever I'm playing with is hosting.

Part of that I feel is because it'd a tad bit involved to get set up, though... which is why I made this thread!

Count
      Bleh..

Godly

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Best of '14 - Best ThreadThespian
      Guys. If you experience a bug after installing and running it that says
      "OCTGN.exe -Assert Failure
      Expression : (mscorlib recursive resource lookup bug)"
      then it's because you clicked "no" to the Wine question.
      Fix - go to config folder, then settings.json or something like that. Find a line called
      "UsingWine": false, and change it to "UsingWine": true,
      Should work !
      COME ON AND SLAM
      Spoiler: When someone tries to insult me 

Geeky

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
      Guys. If you experience a bug after installing and running it that says
      "OCTGN.exe -Assert Failure
      Expression : (mscorlib recursive resource lookup bug)"
      then it's because you clicked "no" to the Wine question.
      Fix - go to config folder, then settings.json or something like that. Find a line called
      "UsingWine": false, and change it to "UsingWine": true,
      Should work !
      Were you running it under Linux or MacOS? (That's what WINE is for)

I always say "no" and I've never run into issues on Windows.

Best Background Pony

Stayin' Alive

Drunk

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with Honors - It's been a pleasure serving with you, you're always welcome to return.Best of '12 - Best RiM HostTime LordThespianAsset to the Forum
      This... looks rather awesome. I may come bother you later, [MENTION=2]Twilight Sparkle[/MENTION], when I try to set this up later. You know how good I am with computers. ;P

Count
      Bleh..

Godly

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Best of '14 - Best ThreadThespian
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
      Were you running it under Linux or MacOS? (That's what WINE is for)

I always say "no" and I've never run into issues on Windows.
      Yeah, I had a lot of problems just installing it. :/
      Also, is it me or the feed for MLP CCG stopped working ? I can't get it to work.
      COME ON AND SLAM
      Spoiler: When someone tries to insult me