FiM is community funded, click here to help out!

Donate Today!

User Tag List

• Aghast
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrogant
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Bored
  • Chaotic
  • Classy
  • Cocky
  • Confident
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Delighted
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Dumb
  • Embarrased
  • Emotionless
  • Enraged
  • Excited
  • Fabulous
  • Flirtatious
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Guilty
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Heroic
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Meh
  • Mischievous
  • Piratey
  • Proud
  • Restful
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Secret
  • Shocked
  • Shy
  • Sick
  • Silly
  • Smitten
  • Sneaky
  • Suggestive
  • Timid
  • Tired
  • Toxic
  • Uneasy
  • Wise
  • WTF
  • View Poll Results:

Voters
    0. You may not vote on this poll
    • 0 0%
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
      I am not a chicken!

Awesome

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Time Lord

Pros and Cons of Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash is the one pony who it seems nobody has a neutral opinion about; everyone I've ever seen talk about her either loves her or loathes her, and nobody seems to have any solid reasons why. The arguments are always just general statements, either "I love Rainbow Dash because she's awesome!" or "I despise Rainbow Dash because she's a stuck up jerk (and "jerk" is putting it mildly compared to the names people usually use to describe her)." Nobody ever seems to give any real examples of her awesomeness when calling her awesome, nor examples of her selfishness when they call her selfish. I've come up with a list of all the pros and cons I can think of with her, based on SPECIFIC details throughout the series.

Pro:
      *Saved Rarity using the Sonic Rainboom
      *Saved the rest of the mane six from the tornado at Wonderbolt Academy
      *Saved the filly from the well.
      *Stood up to Gilda.
      *Saved Scootaloo when she went over the waterfall.
      *Saved Spike and Rarity in Secret of My Excess.
      *Saved the baby from rolling off the cliff.
      *Admitted that she was an egghead.
      *Saved the seniors from the falling balcony.
      *Stood up to the bullies who were picking on Fluttershy.

Con:
      *Used her wings in the Iron Pony competition.
      *Let her fame go to her head before Mare Do Well showed up.
      *Fluttershy needed to beg her to give Tank a chance.
      *Was one of the ponies who tried to upstage Trixie.
      *Cheated in the Running of the Leaves (although, in all fairness, so did Applejack)

Now, of these cons, the one I see cited most frequently is the way she acted in the Mare-Do-Well episode, but people always seem to forget that she was dragged into that by the cheering of the crowds. When she saved the filly from the well, she wasn't doing it for attention, she was honestly doing it for the purpose of saving the filly. When the crowd gathered around her outside the well, she even stated that it was no big deal, but they kept cheering for her. Then, with each proceeding act of heroism, the crowds cheered for her more and more, so she gained a real taste for the attention, and that's also why she felt so desperate to get the fame back after she lost it.
      This is the classic psychology that comes with your "Fifteen minutes of fame." She's normally pretty popular around town, but not really famous, so now that she ended up getting a sudden and massive increase in popularity she ended up getting drawn in by the thrill of being cheered for; she gained a taste for the popularity that came with being the "flavor of the month." Therefore, because she was enjoying the sudden rise in popularity so much, she just couldn't stand to see it go. Because of Mare-Do-Well, Rainbow went from hero to zero in a matter of days; very few people can endure a drop in popularity that massive and not at least try to reverse it before they hit rock bottom. It's just basic psychology: when you really get a taste for something, you can't stand to lose it, especially if it means losing it all at once.

Baron
      Battleborn beta is pretty
      sweet.

Amused

Bits
      How is trying to upstage Trixie a con?
      Likes Vopn24 liked this post
      Lols Red, Whirl Wind Lol'd

Spoiler: Pony Personality Test Results 

Let's get Cynical!
      You may be right; I may be
      crazy, but it just may be a
      lunatic you're looking for.

Confident

Bits
      Awards Decommissioned with HonorsLinguistElement of Generosity
      I don't hate her but her arrogance is annoying.

The saddest little man you'll meet
      Life's not fair, is it?

Fabulous

A collapsing country that fails to be relevant
      Bits
      Rainbow Dash is awesome because she's all hawt and sporty like me.

I love the Jews so much

"Let's get
      dangerous"

Secret

Bits
      She dropped out of school. How many childrens show characters are dropouts?

Thank you Chrysalis for making my sig.

"Are my ears burning?
      Because with how hot I look, I
      should be on fire!"

Fabulous

Bits
      Blog Entries
      She's my 2nd favourite.

CEO of FanBuilt -
      www.fanbuilt.com

Friendly

Bits
      Blog Entries
      I personally don't have a problem with Dash most times... I have grown to get used to her arrogance and ego and thus just left her character in the "20% Cooler" bin.

Although we don't have very many episodes featuring her, the episodes she are in are usually her trying to do something epic.

All in all I want to see her development a little more. Maybe meet her parents?

The Great and Powerful
      The Great and Apologetic
      Trixie is the most magnificent
      and humble pony you've ever
      seen.

Cocky

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Best of '12 - Best RPerTime Lord - Achieved one month online + 10 hours average online time.ArtistThespian
      She's a shallow, petty character who hardly seems to have any depth. She wants attention, she's afraid of failure. She only really cares about being the best. She's arrogant and tends to blow off her friends most of the time. Even helping Fluttershy in "Hurricane Fluttershy" was as much her selfish desire to be the best as it was helping her friend. She least represents her element compared to the others as she's really only loyal to herself.
      Likes Twilight Sparkle liked this post

I am not a chicken!

Awesome

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Time Lord
      Quote Originally Posted by Pwny Express View Post
      How is trying to upstage Trixie a con?
      It's mainly in the way she did so, when she said being better than everypony was her job (don't remember exactly how she said it; it's not an episode I enjoy very much so I only watch it when there's absolutely nothing to watch)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck View Post
      She dropped out of school. How many childrens show characters are dropouts?
      No she didn't. They have never confirmed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
      She's a shallow, petty character who hardly seems to have any depth. She wants attention, she's afraid of failure. She only really cares about being the best. She's arrogant and tends to blow off her friends most of the time. Even helping Fluttershy in "Hurricane Fluttershy" was as much her selfish desire to be the best as it was helping her friend. She least represents her element compared to the others as she's really only loyal to herself.
      How is she shallow? She has more depth than any of the other mane six members except maybe Twilight herself, at least from my perspective. Since the series started:
      *she's steadily grown more humble through episodes like Mare-Do-well and Fall Weather Friends
      *she's learned not to judge things at face value through episodes like May the Best Pet Win and Read it and Weep
      *she's shown that, while she's a determined athlete, she puts the safety of others before her own glory, as was seen in Sonic Rainboom and Wonderbolt Academy
      *She's saved more individual lives than the rest of the mane six put together (most of which were cases of her saving the rest of the mane six. She's saved Rarity from falling to her doom 3 times already)

You want to talk about characters with little to no character development, take a good look at Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie, and Fluttershy and see how they've developed. Compared to Rainbow, all of them except maybe Pinkie have had absolutely no major character development since the beginning; they're still relatively the same as they were in the beginning.
      Last edited by Scootaloo; 04-29-2013 at 05:14 PM.
      Likes Vopn24 liked this post

She's Cute Though, So It's Alright
      Geeky

Bits
      Blog Entries
      Awards Asset to the ForumBest of '13 - Best Staff, Best OPGood OPLinguistTime LordThespianElement of Generosity
      Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
      Trixie pretty much said it.

Rainbow Dash is most often the character on the show younger bronies (esp. males) seem to like. She's a tomboy who's good at sports, slacks off in her work, and wants to make it to the "big leagues" (The Wonderbolts, in Equestria's case). Every group needs a friend that's just not too intelligent, and that's Rainbow Dash. Her character is best defined by "GOTTA GO FAST". She has absolutely no character depth at all; every attempt at saving somepony or something is done more to impress herself or a crowd than it is for the rightful cause (as in The Best Night Ever).

Younger males are attracted to Rainbow Dash because she's the easiest pony to relate to. Boys, naturally, are often inherently dumb, and so is Rainbow Dash. She's the kid that would be saying they're skipping college because they're going to the MLB straight out of high school, as unrealistic as that occurrence is, regardless of talent. Her goal in life is to be perceived in the public eye as being "awesome", and she spends a considerable amount of time looking for ways to "prove it" by challenging others or simply looking for any instance to show off and shove it down their throat (countless examples, but the pilot episodes come to mind as the last I've watched). A career-ending injury would drive Rainbow Dash to the brink of suicide, because she considers herself nothing if she's not going to leave a legacy as the best flyer in Equestria -- just look at how long she survived on bedrest before starting to lose it.

The argument that Rainbow Dash is a good character on the basis of her ability to save others in so many instances is absurd. It's simply a use of her natural talent, and, for her, yet another way to show off. If Fluttershy could fly at the speed of sound (aka a sonic rainboom), the natural food chain would probably cease to exist because she'd intervene every time.
      Likes Muffet liked this post
      Lols Rarity#1 Lol'd

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast